Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Preparation Errands, and a Strange Accident

I had today off of work and couldn't be more thankful.

I slept in until noon, even though I had set my alarm for 9:30 a.m. After that, I got up and lounged around watching MTV's "True Life" before preparing macaroni and cheese for lunch. I got ready for the day, which took longer than I would have liked, as I could not find anything I needed.

I then went to the bank to deposit the checks I received for Christmas, and to ask about using my debit card in Spain. I was glad to hear that I could use it with no problems, but I first had to call customer service to let them know that while I'm in Spain for the next month I'll be using my debit card so they won't block it, thinking it is being fraudulently used. After that, I went to the mall, which I absolutely dread, in order to buy a few dress clothes and a large suitcase that would be able to contain the massive amount of things I have to take across the Atlantic. I saved a total of $132.02 tonight, as the suitcase was 50% off the original $200.00 price, and the clothes were also on sale.

Around 9:00 p.m. tonight I was watching TV downstairs and saw flashing lights go by the front windows. Ordinarily I wouldn't think anything of it as we have a fire station down the road from us, but tonight the lights continued to flash as if the rescue vehicle was stopped right in front of our house. As it turns out, it was, along with other vehicles with flashing lights. Within a few minutes there were three firetrucks, at least three ambulances, a sheriff's office truck, and at least eight sheriff's office cars. It looked as if there was an accident because a green sedan was in the middle of the road very near to a white suburban. The odd thing was that the firetruck was using a twenty foot tall spotlight to light up the field across from us. It looked as if someone ran after the accident happened. All of this went on for an hour, and gradually all of the rescue personnel left, and the green sedan, which was a Volkswagen Jetta, was towed away.

I couldn't wait to get to work tomorrow to get more specific details about what had occurred. I work in the local Circuit Court Clerk's Office and we can usually ask the cops in the building about accidents and events and find out everything we want to know.

I just read the online version of the local newspaper and they had a picture with a very brief caption which said that two pedestrians were hit on my road. The picture was of the Jetta with a dented hood and a shattered windshield, which I presume would make it the car who struck the pedestrians. I find this a little strange as I live in a (now) semi-rural area and the road is dark and winding with many blind hills. I have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking along our road at night, and can't think of any reason why one would. Maybe when/if I learn more details it will make more sense.

No comments: